Poison Apple Cupcakes
Poison Apple Cocktail Cupcakes, with generous amounts of boozy libations in both the batter and the frosting, are a fun and tasty addition to grownup Halloween celebrations.
Makes 12–14 cupcakes
- 1 cup (5 ounces by weight) cake flour
- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons Crown Royal
- 2 tablespoons Sour Apple Pucker
- 1 tablespoon cranberry liqueur (or cranberry juice)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4-1/2 cups (20.5 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Sour Apple Pucker
- 2 tablespoons cranberry liqueur or cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon Crown Royal
- Red food coloring
- Tootsie Rolls or fondant tinted brown and formed into apple stems
- Leaves formed from fondant tinted green or cut from sour apple fruit leather
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix Sour Apple Pucker, Crown Royal, and cranberry liqueur together in a measuring cup and set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, mix the vegetable oil and sugar together on medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the sour cream and applesauce and mix until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated.
- Add half the flour mixture to the sour cream mixture and beat on low until mostly incorporated.
- Add half the Sour Apple Pucker mixture and stir to combine.
- Repeat with remaining flour and Sour Apple Pucker mixture and beat until smooth for about 30 seconds.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 16–20 minutes. Cupcakes should be golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the cupcake tin for 5 minutes.
- Move the cupcakes to a wire rack. Allow to completely cool before frosting.
- Mix the Sour Apple Pucker, cranberry liqueur, and Crown Royal together. Set aside.
- Place butter and salt into the bowl of a standing mixer and whip until creamy, approximately 2–3 minutes on medium-high speed.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add half the confectioners’ sugar a little at a time, mixing until sugar is coated with the butter.
- Slowly add 3/4 Sour Apple Pucker mixture.
- Repeat with remaining confectioners’ sugar and 1 tablespoon Sour Apple Pucker mixture.
- Add red food coloring until desired shade of red is obtained.
- Increase the speed to medium-high and whip for approximately 5 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. If needed, add the remaining Sour Apple Pucker mixture if frosting is too thick and additional Sour Apple Pucker 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes.
- Form leaves from green-tinted fondant or cut leaf shapes from Sour Apple fruit leather.
- Roll small pieces of the Tootsie Roll or brown-tinted fondant to form stems.
- Insert a leaf on top of the frosted cupcake and accent with a stem.